I think it is really cool how many great people I have met through my personal website. I also realize that I would not have met 99% of you had it not been for my roles in some television shows. For many years, I have blogged about the Amish life, about myself, and about the people in my everyday life. This year I decided to do something different. This post is not related to Amish at all. It is about Fantasy Football. Let’s see if we can get creative and make this work.
I am creating a Fantasy Football League with 12 teams. It is a free league, bragging rights only. Below, I will post the rules and rewards for entering.
The person who wins the Superbowl in this league will win an all-expense paid trip to Columbia, Missouri to hang out with me for one day.
Here is what would be covered:
I will pay for your plane ticket if you fly. If you drive, keep your receipts, and I will pay for your food and fuel.
- I will pay for a hotel room for one night in Columbia.
- I will spend my entire day hanging out with you, any topic goes.
- I will buy lunch at the restaurant of your choice.
- I will schedule a photoshoot for us, get it framed, then autograph it before you go home. If you prefer.
- If you and your friend/spouse/child, would like to travel out together, just let me know. I will work something out.
Here are the rules:
- We can never have met in real life.
- You must be somewhat interested in Fantasy Football. In other words, I do not wish to have teams in this league who skip setting their lineups.
- You must be competitive.
- Be willing to talk trash.
- You, or a friend/spouse must be available to draft online.
- You may not give away good players to another team at the end of the season if you see you are going to miss the playoffs in order to help that team win. Any unfair transactions will be reversed by me.
- When you comment ‘I would like to join’, under this post, add what you would like to use as your team name. Mine will be the ‘Amish Ninjas’.
- This league will be open to male and female. No age restrictions.
The draft will be held online on Sunday, August 31, at 10:00 p.m. Eastern Time. Here is how you get in. Sign up to this website at www.amishinthecitymose.com and post in the comment section below. ‘I would like to Join’.
What I will need from you is your personal email, your full name, the state you live in, your age, what you do, how large your family is, and if you are currently, or have ever been in another fantasy football league. (In other words, tell me about you)
Based on the email you send me, I will determine if you seem like the sort of person who can stick to this league throughout the entire year and enter your lineups correctly each Sunday, etc. I will then notify you if you've been selected. I will post in the comment box below, the top 24 team names selected. That way your personal info remains private, but anyone who attempted to join, but didn't make it, can still follow the league. And anyone who is selected but missed the top 12, can see how far down the list they are.
If you wish to meet me, but don't know anything about fantasy football, and don't care to, it is okay to have your friend/spouse run your team for you.
Once I have narrowed the selections down to all qualified contestants, I will put them into a hat and draw. Although I said there are 12 teams, I will draw 24 names. The first 12 are in. The other 12 are backup options. If someone that was drawn in the top 12 isn't available to draft on Sunday night, number 13 replaces him. If someone forgets to maintain their team for several consecutive weeks, the next available number I had drawn will replace that person and inherit his or her team. After week 8, the teams will be set in stone. No more kicking out, and hopefully I never have to do that anyway.
It is my hope to keep this league indefinitely.
Good luck ladies and gentlemen. I look forward to a wonderful year getting to know you all.
AN UPDATE TO THIS POST
I had so many people wanting to join that I felt sorry for the one's that didn't get drawn. Therefore, I started a second league. It is called ‘Amish Footballers II’. (Quite creative, not?) In the second league, the final reward to the winner is exactly the same as in the first league except I'm capping my budget at $150. When the winner in the second league comes to visit, I will pay him or her that amount in cash, but any expenses above that will be on them.
Both leagues are open to the public.
Here are the teams that made the first league…
Mose: Amish Ninjas
Don: Obumanu Care
Mike: RB's for dinner
Tim: Man in Black
Jennifer: Flacco Fury
Jeremy: Amish Steel
Daniel: Johnsonville United
Ryan: William's Angels
Jennifer: Pink Chasers
Art: Texas Ironman
Rob: Prestige Worldwide
The draft in league two will happen Wednesday at 10 p.m. Eastern Time. Almost all of the spots are already filled up, but if you want to get in, send me a private message through the contact form.
I will post here the draft order and who made it after Wednesday night...
Update Number Two:
Six years later league one is still running strong. And oh yes, I have won the Superbowl three out of those six years. (If anyone reads this and feels frisky, email me through the private contact form. Get on the list. You will get in)